If you are a web development company, looking to create a web app, you will probably require a database to be used for the backend as it is crucial to ensure easy, seamless, and fast data retrieval for users.
The database management system is one of the most important aspects of database website integration and deserves special consideration.
Choosing a secure online database software is often thought to be a concern of the database administrators (DBA), but it can be just as important for developers whose programs will interact with modern database software systems.
In this blog, we will discuss the top 10 best web application databases as a list to be used by your organization in 2023.
What are the 10 Best Databases for Web Applications in 2023?
A database is analogous to an office space where all important data and reports are stored. Because the information stored in the database is extremely sensitive, we must exercise caution when accessing its contents. There is an expansive list of database management systems, so we’ve narrowed it down to those that are the most reliable and efficient.
These are the common database software used in businesses across industries. Let’s take a deeper look at these, to understand what will work and not work for your business.
Let’s get started:
MySQL allows forward-thinking database administrators and software developers to create and deploy next-generation web, embedded, mobile, and cloud software-as-a-service (SaaS) / platform-as-a-service (PaaS) / database-as-a-service (DBaaS) applications using cutting-edge database frameworks and hardware platforms. This is the simplest database and is most commonly used for web development solutions. MySQL is a highly scalable database system that can run on a variety of platforms including Linux, Windows, and Unix. MySQL’s key features include the following:
- It is the most dependable because it supports ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability)
- To maintain and administer servers, this popular RDBMS provides fast-loading utilities with varying memory caches
- It achieves high performance without sacrificing essential functionalities
- It provides complete data security because it is built on solid data security layers
- Only authorized users with encrypted passwords can access the database
Oracle is the most successful database management system, trailing only MS SQL.
Oracle databases are used in small businesses that are gaining popularity due to their scalability and high performance. The fact that it was a well-established company from the start made it much more appealing and simple to use for smaller businesses. Also, this is the best database for startups in IT firms.
A powerful and open-source sql database system designed to meet the needs of industry and individuals. The chances are you don’t know much about PostgreSQL if you only know PHP and WordPress. However, it’s a relational, and one of the fastest open-source databases that developers in various industries use as it is ideal for Python and Ruby applications. Even so, you should use PostgreSQL with caution because it isn’t as good as other solutions for read-heavy applications. As a result of such a large dataset, PostgreSQL’s document storage may suffer if you need to generate reports regularly from existing data.
- Geolocation, arrays, and ranges are just a few of the built-in data types that will come in handy for some relational database applications.
- Full-text searches of your database are possible.
- JSON-style document storage, key-value storage, and XML are all natively supported.
MongoDB is the world’s best NoSQL database management system, and it handles document data rather than relational data as does the RDBMS platform. The tool has a robust query language. As a result, it is not as difficult to load and retrieve data from the RDBMS database program using object-oriented languages, which necessitates additional application-level mapping.
- Fully automated scale provisioning and management of complex, highly available multi-node clusters via API calls
- You can use this tool to create globally distributed clusters
- When necessary, data can be easily restored
- It offers MongoDB Atlas, the fastest cloud database
- It provides visualization, monitoring, and alerting on over 80 metrics that track the health of your cluster or integrate with third-party monitoring solutions
- It stores tables in a relational database using rich JSON documents
Based on the popular message queue software MQ, Redis is one of the best open-source SQL databases. With Redis, you can store keys and values and provide message assurance between applications. By eliminating the need to install and configure traditional database tools such as MySQL and PostgreSQL, Redis has the primary goal of helping web app developers solve problems quickly.
- Accessing data with Redis has low latency and high throughput
- Lists, Strings, Sorted Sets, Sets, Bitmaps, Hashes, HyperLogLogs, and other data structures are available in Redis
- It enables programmers to write complex code in fewer, simpler lines
- Redis’ primary-replica architecture allows developers to create solutions that are highly reliable and provide consistent performance
- SQLite is a very lightweight database management system when compared to other top database management systems such as SQL Server or Oracle
- The database is stored on a computer’s hard disc
DynamoDB is the best SQL database and a key player in the database industry. It’s not tied down to a specific platform, it’s compatible with various tools, platforms, and languages for a better user experience. It also stores data locally in RAM for quick retrieval when required.
- Support for key-value and document data models
- Secondary indexes are available in DynamoDB, allowing you to query any attribute
- Amazon DynamoDB Accelerator improves DynamoDB read performance
- To provide triggers, DynamoDB integrates with AWS Lambda
8. Microsoft SQL
Microsoft SQL is the best relational database management system that accesses relational databases using Structured Query Language (SQL). T-SQL (Transact-SQL) is linked to Microsoft SQL Server, which adds a set of proprietary programming constructs. SQLOS (SQL Operating System) and Data Engine are the two most important components of Microsoft SQL Server.
- Microsoft SQL Server includes analysis service tools that aid in the development and management of OLAP and data mining applications
- It is a proprietary and fastest relational database management system with commercial and free licenses
- Provide ACID transactions that are guaranteed
- It is a multi-model database that can handle semi-structured, structured, and spatial data
ElasticSearch is a powerful search engine that can build fast and scalable web-enabled database applications. Elasticsearch is based on Lucene, a free and fastest open-source database in Java library for searching and storing data. It’s a multi-tenant document-based search engine with a REST API. It scales easily horizontally through automatic sharing and a REST API.
Cassandra is one of the most popular SQL databases for building a high-performance database for your web application. Cassandra claims to be faster than other NoSQL alternatives. Cassandra is ideal for applications that require real-time data access of databases and strict performance guarantees. Cassandra’s main characteristics are reliability and stability, as it has already been tested on 1000 nodes and various use cases. Cassandra is a hybrid that has the lowest latency for the entire data center experience and is hence considered the best cloud database.
- All failed nodes can be replaced with minimal or no downtime using Fault Tolerant
- Data is replicated across multiple nodes to provide a fault-tolerance system
- There are no network bottlenecks because each node in the cluster is independent
A few years ago, selecting a database was a much simpler process. All that was required was to select an easy relational database for the majority of their requirements. However, the selection process has become more intrinsic in modern software development.
Way2Smile Solutions can help you to identify the best databases for your web application project. Most modern businesses today run their operations on multiple databases in open-source SQL DB. This creates a complex situation because performing a common analysis integrating data from all of these databases can be a difficult task. First, a data integration solution that can integrate all data from these databases and store it in a centralized location must be built. Businesses can then either create their data or use third-party data.
The SQL databases list offers a list of the top database options for businesses in 2023. The best fit for your business can be determined by your needs and the services with guidance from one of the best SQL database management software consultants in Dubai.